A Focus on Technological Advances
During its 50 year history, Mosca’s emphasis on technological advances as a critical driver of innovation has steadily improved environmental equipment efficiency:
- Since the early 1990s, using wear-free direct drives to replace mechanical systems.
- Developing a unique emission-free, powered on-demand ultrasonic welding system for strapping.
- Offering electric press drives to replace energy-intensive, noisier hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Developing equipment that, under operating efficiency and seal strength, offers users the opportunity to reduce strap size without loss of package integrity, saving material costs, and natural resources.
Responsible Use of Resources
Responsible resource use also is an integral part of EAM-Mosca’s corporate culture. We continue to improve our ecological footprint, balancing economic and environmental concerns. EAM-Mosca’s commitment to the “GET inside” approach derives from adherence to the 3R (Reduce-Reuse-Recycle) philosophy. Examples include:
- Reducing the use of PET virgin resin by converting to 100% recovered material in our PET strapping with no loss of product performance.
- Reducing electricity consumption by investing in energy-efficient dryers, increasing extruder line efficiency, insulating ovens, and installing energy-efficient lighting in production and warehouse areas.
- Reducing packaging consumption by lightening corrugated and core weights, increasing coil lengths, offering customers incentives to convert from box to bulk packaging, and encouraging customers to return skids and cores for reuse.
- Reducing shipping weight and the need for heat-treating export pallets by replacing wood with corrugated pallets.
- Recycling PP and PET strap waste collected from our production and internal machine testing.
- Recycling operational and office waste, generating a 30% reduction of waste disposal to landfill in 3 years.
- Investing in a PP strap production process that enables a 10% reduction in resin content with no loss of strap strength or machine performance.
- Developing integrated strap/equipment solutions that enable customers to reduce the cost and amount of strapping per package with no impact on operating efficiency or package quality. Our lightest straps, 5mm PP, and 9mm PET are also our fastest growing strap products.